Senators named in election

By Lindsey Salvatelli

DeKALB — Results from the Student Association Senate revote for the 49th session were finalized two hours after polls closed Wednesday.

The SA organizes and coordinates student activities and represents student views regarding university policies, according to the SA Constitution.

The revote occurred less than a week after the SA released a March 30 statement that the SA Board of Elections found the March 29 results to be invalid because of a data entry error.

“I haven’t heard any kind of appeals, and I don’t think there will be any,” SA Senate Speaker Christine Wang said.

Wang said the uncontested tickets for District 2 and District 4 are a concern to her, but she is excited to be working with the incoming senators.

“I’m concerned that we may be falling under quorum as we lose a couple of senators to leadership positions,” Wang said.

Half of the voting senators must be present to reach quorum, according to the SA Constitution.

Other concerns about filling the 49th session arise from the possibility of some senators falling below requirements to hold their position.

Wang said if the SA Senate falls under quorum that they will fill at large.

Students who meet requirements can apply for vacancies with the SA Senate.

Senator-elect Darnell Johnson, who ran on a ticket with three other individuals, said he used social media and spoke with many people during his campaign.

“I’m really excited, and I hope by being elected that I can [bring] positive changes to NIU,” Johnson said.