Slain student remembered as honest and selfless

By Madison Kacer

DeKALB -Johnathon Ode, a senior at DeKalb High School, was stopped at the door by his 15-month-old brother as he was leaving the house to hang out with friends Tuesday night after what his father Steve Ode called a normal family dinner.

Ode carried his brother back to his step-mother, who was sitting in the living room, but the child proceeded to toddle right back after Ode.

“He just… he wanted to be with his big brother,” Steve said.

About hour later, Johnathon, 18, was pronounced dead on the scene after being hit in a four-car collision Tuesday night, according to a DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office press release.

“My son was a very honest, very outgoing human being,” Steve said. “He was very selfless.”

Steve and Johnathon’s stepmother Katie both work at DeKalb High School, where Johnathon explored his interest in technology by participating in the Kishwaukee Education Consortium.

“He had a good mind for it,” Steve said. “He was learning programming; he was learning how to design websites and build computers, and my son just had a natural talent for it.”

After investigation, John Yanni, 25, was charged with driving under the influence and improper lane usage and was released from Kishwaukee Hospital, 1 Kish Hospital Dr., after being treated for minor injuries.

Yanni was later charged with reckless homicide and two counts of aggravated driving under the influence, according to court documents.