Netflix continues to satisfy students

By Tatianna Salisbury

With cold weather keeping most students indoors, now is a great time to take advantage of some blankets, snacks and Netflix. Here are some of the hilarious, nostalgic shows students can find on Netflix.

“Haters Back Off!”

YouTube personality Colleen Ballinger scored a moment in the spotlight when her web-series “Miranda Sings” was transformed into a Netflix show titled “Haters Back Off!” Ballinger claimed her fame in an unconventional way; rather than doing product haul videos or makeup tutorials, she created an alternate persona named Miranda, a girl who is as untalented as she is appealing. “Haters Back Off!” gives viewers a hilarious insight into previously unexplained areas of Miranda’s life. Like most YouTubers, she is self-absorbed and loves to listen to the sound of her own shrill voice. Junior communication major, Cierra White, said she was hesitant about the show at first but learned to love it.

“It just makes me laugh,” White said. “It’s just so ridiculous [that] it’s actually smart. If you’re looking for a good laugh, you should watch it.”

“Stranger Things”

This show is the perfect combination of nostalgia and mystery, paralleling ‘80s shows and movies like “The Goonies.” “Stranger Things” feels authentic and relatable, as there is an odd comfort in watching children try to solve problems bigger than themselves. The show is mixed with the perfect amount of hilarity and hijinks to create a wonderful story. Alexandra Cednick, sophomore communication major, said she loves the show for many reasons.

“It brings back the nostalgia of the 80s. The plot, the narrative and the writing, everything about it is just well thought out, I think a lot of shows are missing that nowadays. [“Stranger Things” has] an idea, and they really put everything they had into that idea.”

“Gilmore Girls: A Year In the Life”

After the long wait, fans of “Gilmore Girls” have finally been satisfied with Netflix continuing the series under the extended title, “Gilmore Girls: A Year In the Life.” Fans were patient, and their dedication showed in the amount of eager social media posts where the hashtag “Gilmore Girls Revival” quickly started trending.

Nostalgia has a great influence on viewers, and the series uses this to their advantage with heart-wrenching monologues and funny quirks. Lauren Clohessy, sophomore journalism major, said she finds the show appealing for several reasons, nostalgia being one. Creators do an excellent job of combining the past with the present, introducing new characters and continuing the original plot line without skipping a beat.