InFocus: How Have you Handled the Switch From Gmail to Microsoft Office Outlook?

By Perspective Staff

Faith Mellenthin

Columnist

Microsoft Outlook is easy to use, but the transition from Gmail has not been smooth. As an avid user of Gmail, I was very surprised Outlook is so user friendly. With a single login, I can access all Microsoft Office downloads and the email.

There were supposed to be fall workshops to teach students about all the features of Microsoft Office, according to a May 5 Northern Star article. However, I am unsure if these workshops already happened or not. If they have happened, I think a few more should be held now that classes have started. I would find these to be very helpful, as I have struggled to import my Gmail data into Outlook.

The Division of Information Technology has made instructions for transferring data, but the instructions are hard to follow even with screenshot supplements. Overall, I am excited to permanently use Outlook after figuring out how to get my information switched over.

Hanna Markezich

Columnist

As a student, who uses Google+ for everything, I was not too thrilled about NIU switching to Microsoft Outlook, but as I continue to use Microsoft Office, I think it could be better than Gmail for students. Initially I believed I lost all of my important contacts related to NIU. Fortunately, there is a link to retrieve information from the Gmail account. Students must sign-in through MyNIU.niu.edu and click the email link. There is a link under the Outlook information, and with this process, I was able to transfer all information from Gmail to Outlook.

Microsoft Outlook offers some advantages that Gmail did not. Students in organizations can use the calendar on Microsoft Out-look to share upcoming events and send out newsletters. It will take time to get used to, but I do believe NIU made a good decision about our email accounts. In weeks time, everyone will benefit from the perks of Microsoft Outlook.edu and click the email link. There is a link under the  Outlook information, and with this process, I was able to transfer all information from Gmail to Outlook. Microsoft Outlook offers some advantages that Gmail did not. Students in organizations can use the calendar on Microsoft Outlook to  share upcoming events and send out newsletters. It will take time to get used to, but I do believe NIU made a good decision about our email accounts. In weeks time, everyone will benefit from the perks of Microsoft Outlook.

Kara Mercer

Columnist

Microsoft Outlook will take some getting used to like any change does, but will be a good platform for emails and scheduling once Gmail accounts are deleted.

I am a little disappointed I was unable to make the Microsoft Outlook email work on an iPhone email app, but it is a small conflict overshadowed by what the new email provider has to offer.

Microsoft Outlook offers extra perks that Gmail did not. Students can work offline using the desktop app, which will come in handy if Wi-Fi becomes unavailable, according to the Division of Information Technology webpage. The switch will also save the division $15,000 a year, according to a May 5 Northern Star article.

However, there should have been clearer information on what would happen to existing Google Docs and Google Slides that were created on Gmail because students may have old class notes, resumes and other information they want to carry over.

Makenna Pranchke

Columnist

The transition from Gmail to Microsoft Outlook has left me slightly confused. New students need to be better informed of the switch. As a freshman, I received information from the NIU Gmail. I was not informed there would be a change, so when the switch began, I was caught off guard. I realized I had not been receiving emails containing important information like safety alerts about crimes that occur near campus.

Not only that, but it was time consuming to travel back and forth between the old and new email because I was not sure how the switch was going to work. Luckily, I know how to use Microsoft Outlook, so I did not struggle with the new email account unlike other students who may be more accustomed to Gmail. Outlook seems to work just as well if not better than Gmail. If freshmen and transfer students are more clearly informed about the switch, I think there will be less issues and the transition will be smoother.