Senators resign for meeting to start

Senator Logyn Hoxworth texts and calls senators asking them to come to the Student Association meeting Sunday at the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room. The meeting was delayed 19 minutes due to an insufficient number of senators.

The Student Association Senate was forced to collect nine letters of resignation in order to have a meeting Sunday.

The Senate is responsible for the SA budget which currently is more than $6.5 million. This money is used to provide services including the Huskie Line, Campus Recreation, Students’ Legal Assistance, Off-Campus and Non-Traditional Student Services, Event Production Services and the Campus Activities Board for students.

The Senate could not start with less than 19 members in attendance because quorum for the SA Senate consists of a majority of the total number of filled Senate seats. There are 40 seats in the Senate.

To reach quorum, Senator Tristan Martin, Christine Wang, Senate Speaker-elect and SA Senate Speaker Dillon Domke made calls to senators not in attendance requesting letters of resignation.

Nine senators were reached for resignation, including Timothy Brandner, former SA Senate sergeant-at-arms.

“I don’t think anything of [Brandner resigning],” Domke said. “People wanted to be home with their mothers.”

Domke said it was a service for senators to submit resignations so the meeting could begin.

Only 20 senators were elected for the next session, and shortly after the elections, former Senator Bethany Vanover and Robert Kreml, former deputy Senate speaker, resigned leaving the Senate with 18 senators.

The Senate was forced to amend their bylaws at an April 24 meeting, which allowed senators in the current session to approve of senators at large for next session.

Without this legislation, the Senate would not have been able to meet next semester.