In Focus: Should NIU continue partnering courses with companies?

By Perspective Staff

Faith Mellenthin

Columnist

Partnering with big companies, like Kohl’s, limits the potential of students who may be happier working for other organizations not connected with NIU.

Each semester, upwards of 20 students end up working at Kohl’s, according to a Monday Northern Star article. Big company partnerships like this may discourage students from applying to other places.

Kohl’s is paying a $65 textbook fee and additional financial support will go towards faculty bonuses, according to a Monday Northern Star article. I don’t understand why this financial help is going toward faculty bonuses and only $65 goes towards students in the class.

This agreement is not fair, but it could be improved by equally distributing financial support to student related expenses only.

Hanna Markezich

Columnist

NIU should partner with more businesses to benefit the students by providing them a direct link to established companies.

The opportunity opens the door for students after graduation. It is important NIU encourages students to learn first hand how certain companies work.

If more companies were to partner with NIU students would acquire leadership skills, professionalism and other qualities that are needed to succeed in the work force.

Students with majors in other departments deserve the networking connections that Marketing 365 students are currently receiving through Kohl’s.The hardest issue after graduation is finding a job. While not all chances are going to be equal, students deserve to have the resources of future employment.

Kara Mercer

Columnist

NIU should continue to partner with big name companies for classes because it will help lessen costs for the university.

Mark Rosenbaum, professor of the Principles of Retailing course, is a part of the Kohl’s corporation. Rosenbaum said he often looks for professionalism and enthusiasm in students he recommends to Kohl’s , according to a Monday Northern Star article.

Part of the agreement with Kohl’s is that NIU must give some financial support towards things like books and scholarships. With the budget still not finalized in Illinois, NIU could partner with more big name companies for extra funding toward classroom expenses. NIU would also have more opportunities when it came to recruiting for career fairs, so overall future partnerships would benefit everyone involved.

Kaylyn Zielinski

Columnist

NIU should continue to partner with big name companies for classes because it will benefit both the students and the companies.

Currently, NIU is partnered with Kohl’s. Students are able to get a discount on their textbooks and also have a head start to a possible internship that could lead to a career after graduation.

The university should continue to partner with large companies for other programs aside from the marketing course that currently partners with Kohl’s. With these partnerships, companies will gain workers with industry specific knowledge and students will feel secure in that they are well qualified to acquire a job after graduation.

The partnership seems like a win-win for both the company and the students.