SA plans to make students more aware, interact with organization

Christine Wang, SA Senate speaker-elect, speaks with Sergeant-at-Arms Senator Timothy Brandner about the senate’s discussion on Senator Tristan Martin’s proposed bill at a meeting on Sunday in the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room.

By Leah Nicolini

The Student Association leadership elected for the 2016-17 academic year said they will work to make students more aware of the SA.

The purpose of the SA is to voice student concerns to the university administration, according to its website.

Fifteen students attended a meet and greet event to talk with SA President-elect Giuseppe LaGioia, Vice President-elect Rachel Jacob, Treasurer-elect Brian Robinson, student trustee-elect Matthew Holmes and SA Senate Speaker-elect Christine Wang on Tuesday in the Campus Life Building, Room 100.

The purpose of the event was to provide students with more ways to interact with members of SA, according to a flier.

LaGioia to hold more events

As a person used to “a lot on his plate,” LaGioia said he will create more events like town halls and start more campaigns like the No Shame or Who Needs Feminism campaigns in the fall.

LaGioia said he will try to make campus more inclusive and plans to promote the events thoroughly through social media.

The duties of the president are to call meetings, oversee the SA and fulfill any positions as needed, according to the SA constitution.

Jacob to increase SA affiliate communication

Jacob said she will begin laying out her plans for the fall during the summer, and highest on her list of priorities is to establish a house of presidents or executive board members, which will require student organization presidents or executive staff members to attend an SA meeting once a semester.

The vice president is in charge of aiding the president, according to the SA Constitution.

Holmes to educate campus of Board of Trustees

The senior Operations Management and Information Systems major said he would educate more people on campus about his position because he doesn’t think people on campus are familiar with the role the student trustee plays.

Holmes will attend his first Board of Trustees meeting as student trustee June 16.

The student trustee’s responsibilities include deciding the conduct of administration and management to the president.

Wang to increase SA, group interaction

Wang said she will encourage senators to become more engaged with student organizations by requiring senators to directly oversee five organizations each. Senators will also be required to attend five student organization events each semester.

As a result, Wang said the relationship between the 40 senators could improve because most senators don’t know each other outside of SA meetings and will be encouraged to spend time with each other outside of work.