Pass/Fail: Rec Center locks may prevent theft, Lucinda alignment result of bad plans

By Kaylyn Zielinski

Pass:

The Student Association will be working to install new locks, chosen by students, at the Recreation Center. The change of locks could help prevent future theft which is a concern when people have to keep their things in a public place. Students can focus on their workouts instead of whether or not their items will still be in the lockers afterwards. Because students use the lockers, it is important that students were the ones to decide what locks should be used. It is great that students had a say in what locks will be protecting their personal items in the future.

Fail:

NIU will spend over half a million to fix the misalignment of the Lucinda Avenue extension due to what I think is just poor planning.

The original cost of the extension was $4.5 million and now the repairs will be an additional $550,000 according to Thursday’s Northern Star article. The money to pay for the alignment will come from a Federal Highway Administration grant NIU received back in 2004, according to Thursday’s Northern Star article.

The project should have been better thought out before construction to save the extra time and money being put into the extension. It is extremely disappointing that there was not a focus on the alignment of the extension before it was too late.

The safety of those using the extension should have been thought of during the planning because this mistake could have caused collisions.