Senate halts vote on ordinance

Student Association senators speak at the SA Senate meeting Sunday at the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room. The SA constructed a letter to the City Council addressing issues with an unlawful assemblies ordinance. The Senate voted unanimously on sending the letter to the City Council. Kevin Gordon was voted into the position of election commissioner during the meeting.

By Maxwell Bisaillon

A City Council vote for an unlawful assemblies ordinance was delayed from its original vote today due to the influence of the Student Association Senate.

The unlawful assemblies ordinance would regulate and quickly disband gatherings of people if police officers felt it necessary, said SA Senator Timothy Brandner at a SA Senate meeting Sunday.

DeKalb Mayor John Rey tabled the vote after being contacted by SA Senate speaker Dillon Domke.

The SA constructed a letter to City Council addressing its issues with the new ordinance.

Among the SA’s complaints was the use of a single officer to disband an assembly of people if one member of that assembly participated in any unlawful activities including, but not limited to: possession of cannabis, underage possession or consumption of alcohol and the use of “fighting words,” Brandner said.

Additional fines would be imposed on those in possession of items considered weapons, such as bats and protest signs with posts or handles, Brandner said.

“We need to speak with the mayor and the council to see what we can do to fix it so that students don’t feel that their rights are being violated,” Brandner said.

After almost 20 minutes of deliberation, the SA’s vote on sending the letter to City Council was passed unanimously.

Election commissioner

Pre-physical therapy major Kevin Gordon was voted into the position of election commissioner during the meeting.

Gordon served as election commissioner in fall 2015.

Upon returning to the election commissioner position, Gordon said he hopes to get more students to run for positions as well as student involvement in elections.

“I believe that it is going to be easier this semester because it is a dual election, as well as having more time and resources,” Gordon said. “The SA’s Twitter is back up and, compared to the two weeks I had last semester, I have two to two and a half months this semester.”

The dual election this spring is a result of the legislation passed last spring by the SA to merge elections into one election spring 2016 in an effort to increase student involvement in the election process, according to a May 4, 2015 Northern Star article.

Gordon said he plans to make further connections with a variety of student organizations on campus to encourage their involvement and representation within the elections.