Barsema Express to increase stops

By Rachel Scaman

The Barsema Express bus route may soon slow down as it incorporates stops on the Lucinda Avenue extension.

The Student Association plans to utilize the Lucinda Avenue extension, which opened on Nov. 19 to connect the main campus to the west side, to add stops to the Barsema Express route, said Rob Jusino, SA director of Mass Transit.

“One of the stops is going to be at the [Outdoor Recreation Sports Complex] and the Convocation Center … Northern View [Community] and then there’s going to be a stop for Stevenson, Grant, the [Recreation Center], Holmes Student Center, DuSable, the Music Building and [Barsema Hall],” Jusino said.

The route may also be renamed the Lucinda Express, and would be no different from the Barsema Express besides using the Lucinda extension and adding on more stops, Jusino said.

Jusino is collaborating with Transdev, a company the HuskieLine buses are serviced out of, to work out the technicalities of the route. The HuskieLine plans to do test runs of the potential Lucinda Express route, according to a Nov. 18 Northern Star article.

NIU Spokesman Brad Hoey said he has heard nothing but good things about the extension. Some students, however, are worried about its width.

“I think [the Lucinda extension] is very beneficial, but it’s way too narrow for its intention,” said senior journalism major Kristen Drought. “Buses can’t pass each other.”

The extension was very useful during the Illinois High School Association football state championships on Friday and Saturday, Hoey said.

“There were just over 30,000 people that came to eight games over two days,” Hoey said. “… It was the first major event where the extension was open.”

Jusino said the goal of the route is still to get students from the residence halls to Barsema Hall as quickly as possible.

“Basically, the route is going to be longer but what we’re going to do is once it leaves the residence hall area it’s not going to stop at Dusable [and] it’s not going to stop at the Holmes Student Center. It’s going to go straight to the Music Building and up to Barsema,” Jusino said. “The [goal] of getting students from the [residence halls] to Barsema quickly, that’s still going to remain the same.”