Bowling Green Breakdown

By Thomas Hiley III

Sports writer Thomas Hiley analyzes important players for Bowling Green as they take on the Huskies in the MAC Championship at 7 p.m. Friday in Detroit. The teams have played in two consecutive MAC Championship games against one other, splitting the two games.

Quarterback

Redshirt senior quarterback Matt Johnson has been the head of the Falcons’ offense throughout the year. He’s also been one of the top quarterbacks in the nation, ranking near the top in almost every quarterback statistic. Johnson is seventh in completion percentage with 68.9, first in yards thrown with 4,465 and second in passing touchdowns with 41. His successful season comes after a 2014-15 year where he suffered a season-ending hip injury in the season opener against Western Kentucky. Johnson won MAC Player of the Week six times this season and is on the watchlist for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, which is awarded to the top college quarterback in the nation.

Running Back

Redshirt senior running back Travis Greene is the leading rusher for the Falcons. Greene has rushed for 1,058 yards for 12 touchdowns on 183 attempts in 12 games. He’s posted similar numbers from his 2014-15 season where he ran for 949 yards and 12 touchdowns. He’s had four games with more than one rushing touchdown and four games where he rushed for more than 100 yards. His best game of the season came against Western Michigan in week 10 when he ran the ball 24 times for 170 yards and three rushing touchdowns.

Wide Receiver

Sophomore wide receiver Roger Lewis has been a star receiver for Bowling Green this season. He was named to the preseason watchlist for the Biletnikoff Award, given to college football’s most outstanding receiver, and was on the watchlist for the All-MAC first team. Lewis got his career off to a quick start in 2014, catching 73 passes for 1,093 yards and seven touchdowns as a freshman. He became the first Bowling Green freshman to reach 1,000 yards receiving. Lewis has continued his strong play from last year, catching 76 passes for 1,401 yards and 14 receiving touchdowns in 2015. He has reached over 100 yards receiving and caught at least one touchdown pass in seven games this season.

Defensive Line

Redshirt senior Taylor Royster has been a dominant force for the Falcons defensive line this year, totaling 48 tackles and 5.5 sacks. He’s the eighth leading tackler for the Falcons and is first when it comes to getting in the backfield with 10 tackles for loss. Roster has picked up 17 tackles and 2.5 sacks in his last four games, helping to lead a defense that has collected 26 sacks for a loss of 158 yards.

Linebacker

Redshirt sophomore linebacker Austin Valdez has been a tackling machine this season, mustering up 120 tackles on the year. He’s ranked fourth in the MAC in total tackles. Valdez appeared in 13 games at linebacker in 2014, making only one start and totaling 20 tackles as a freshman. He’s also second on the team with 9 tackles for loss and has caught two interceptions so far into the season.

Defensive Backs

Senior Dernard Turner and redshirt junior Alfonso Mack are two defensive backs to keep an eye on in Bowling Green’s secondary. Both players have started at least 10 games on the season and have combined for nine interceptions, four from Turner and five from Mack. They are the two biggest pass defenders the Falcons have and have done a great job of defending the back end of the defense. Mack is in his first season seeing real playing time. He played in five games in 2014, recording only two tackles. He played in nine games in 2013, picking up another two tackles. Turner played in all 14 games last season. He has 66 total tackles and four pass breakups to go along with his four interceptions on the year. Mack has 42 total tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss to go with his five interceptions.