Students to vote on Rec Center locks

By Jackie Nevarez

Student Association President Nathan Lupstein said students will be able to test and vote on new locks for broken Recreation Center lockers next week.

The SA started meeting with the Recreation Center in July to see how they could improve the issue of broken lockers, Lupstein said at SA Senate on Sunday. The SA determined about half of the broken lockers will be able to be fixed.

“There is a figure that we had to replace all the broken lockers,” Lupstein said. “We don’t know if we can quite match that, especially with the budget situation this year.”

The electrical locks on the broken lockers will be replaced with mechanical locks. The Recreation Center is currently talking to two different contractors and testing two mechanical locks, Lupstein said. Students will be able to vote for the lock they like best next week at a station in the Recreation Center entrance.

“So that’s great news,” Lupstein said. “That’s something … we need to focus more attention on, is our facilities and ensuring that they’re up to a certain standard that other universities enjoy as well, and I think this is a great step in that direction.”

Supplemental funding

Black Male Initiative was awarded $1,068 in supplemental funding for food purchased for the Student African American Brotherhood Regional Cluster Summit held Saturday.

Student African American Brotherhood is an organization created to assist members “to excel academically, socially, culturally, professionally and in the community,” according to the organization’s website. Five chapters from Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Wisconsin, as well as members of NIU group Supporting Opportunities for Latinos attended the conference, said BMI President Jacob Clayton.

Clayton said BMI was chosen to host the Regional Cluster Summit, which is held every two years. The only expense asked of BMI was a continental breakfast and lunch for 80 guests as well as cups, plates, utensils and signs to direct traffic to the Campus Life Building, Clayton said.