Spot in MAC tourney on the line for soccer

Sophomore midfielder Lauren Gierman awaits the ball in a Sept. 25 game against Toledo. Gierman scored both goals in the game for the Huskies, giving her a second two-goal game in her career.

By Raven Boyd

Women’s soccer (3-12-2, 2-6-2 MAC) split its games this weekend, defeating Bowling Green but tying with Eastern Michigan.

Bowling Green

Bowling Green outshot NIU 10-4 in the first half, but the Huskies were able to tally two saves on defense, keeping the Falcons scoreless.

The Falcons started early with a foul in the first few minutes before back-and-forth shots between sophomore midfielders Lauren Gierman and Allie Ingham.

Ingham entered the game for Emilie Furuseth Haugan in the 22nd minute and scored the first goal for the Huskies and her first on the season in the 42nd minute of play. The goal was kicked into the top corner following a headed pass from junior midfielder Haley Cummings.

The Huskies doubled their shots in the second half, entering with a 1-0 lead. The Falcons kicked three corner kicks but were unable to score. Bowling Green found itself in trouble nearing the end of the half after goalkeeper Lauren Cadel fouled senior forward Nicole Gobbo and received a red card.

Sophomore forward Sammy O’Brien scored a second goal for the Huskies a minute later, assisted by senior Ashley Auble and giving NIU a 2-0 lead, which they held throughout the game.

Eastern Michigan

Early in the first half, Gobbo scored her fifth goal of the season and the first for NIU. Gobbo took four shots against the Eagles, three of them on goal.

Eastern Michigan kicked nine shots in the first half to the Huskies’ six and remained scoreless despite its three corner kick opportunities. Redshirt junior midfielder Mackenzie Lewis received a yellow card in the 27th minute of play.

Eastern Michigan found themselves on the scoreboard for the first time 20 seconds before half-time after the ball was deflected off an NIU defender. Redshirt freshman forward Kristin Nason scored the goal for the Eagles.

The Huskies and Eagles battled it out throughout the second period and into two overtimes, but neither was able to come up with the win. Both teams totaled 14 fouls in the game. Eastern Michigan took 24 shots with 13 of them on goal.

Sophomore goalkeeper Amy Annala recorded 12 saves to finish out the game. Freshman forwards Kate Sanfilippo and Taylor Sarver kicked two shots along with Gierman’s five to total 15 for the Huskies.

The Huskies will return home for their last game of the regular season as they face off against Western Michigan at 2 p.m. Thursday. NIU will have one more opportunity to clinch the final spot in the MAC tournament. The Broncos sit at second in the MAC West with a 10-3-3 record.