Moore ending senior year strong

By Patrick Smith

Senior safety Marlon Moore has been a consistent force for the Huskies in his three-and-a-half seasons and doesn’t seem to be slowing up anytime soon.

Moore has played in all but two games since his freshman year, when he earned a starting spot.

He picked up two interceptions, five tackles and a pass breakup against Buffalo in his first career start, helping lead the Huskies to a 45-3 win.

Moore led all Huskies in 2014 in tackles with 99, finishing with two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one interception. He leads the team again through eight games in 2015, tallying 59 tackles and a forced fumble.

The Huskies will take on MAC-leading Toledo at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Toledo, Ohio.

Q: How do you feel you have improved as a player in your four years?

A: I came in as a cornerback, so when I had to make the transition to safety I had to learn a whole new position, and that was a big adjustment I had to make. Over the years I learned to be a leader by controlling a defense.

Q: How do you feel the team has progressed in your years?

A: I feel like we have been very consistent winning games, and we have had great preparation in practice in my four years here.

Q: What’s your overview of how the team has played so far this season, and what do you need to do in these last games?

A: Well when we had the three-game losing streak I felt like we made a lot of mental errors, but other than that I feel like we have been playing good overall on both sides of the ball.

Q: Is it ever hard to balance being a student and an athlete?

A: Yes, because you have school work to worry about, and when you have practice you don’t really feel like doing your work, but as a student athlete here at NIU, they really preach that their athletes graduate.

Q: How do you try and prepare the defense each week as one of its leaders?

A: I prepare the defense by being vocal, keeping everyone energized, making sure that everybody is doing their part running 1-11 and just leading them on.

Q: What are you looking to leave behind as you finish your last season with the team?

A: I just want my name to be known here. The season hasn’t been going exactly how I want it to, but it’s turning around pretty good.

Q: What has been the highlight of your time here? Your most exciting moment.

A: My freshman year we played Buffalo on Homecoming, and I ended up getting two interceptions and winning MAC player of the week.

Q: How do you feel going into next week’s match up vs Toledo?

A: I feel good about it. Just have to get back to the film room and prepare like we do any other team and take it one game at a time.