Tips for being safe on and off campus

By Rachel Scaman

You’re walking home on a Friday night, and you receive a text message informing you of a robbery that has just occurred on your street.

It’s a scary thought, I know, but there are steps you can take to make sure you’re safe at the end of the night, according to Cmdr Don Rodman of the NIU Police Department.

Be aware of your resources.

The Huskie Safe Line provides shuttle services from 11 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.

A GPS system for the Huskie Safe Line is being looked into, Rodman said. This will let students know where the Huskie Safe Line is and where it stops. You can call the Huskie Safe Line at 815-753-2222.

The Huskie Patrol is also available from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. The Huskie Patrol is a group of students who will walk with students to make sure they get to their destination safely.

Be aware of surroundings.

Rodman said people often text while they are walking home at night.

Texting and walking “limits student’s vision and situational awareness,” Rodman said.

Another way to stay aware of your surroundings is by making sure you stay alert when walking to your car at night in an empty parking lot.

Be an involved community member.

If you see something unusual or suspicious, you shouldn’t hesitate to call the police and let them know, Rodman said.

Even if it ends up being a false alarm, it’s awlays better to be safe than sorry.

If we as students and DeKalb residents can look out for each other more often, our campus and the area surrounding it can become more safe.

If you drink alcohol, make sure someone is sober.

It’s always a smart idea to have someone sober in the group when you and your friends go out at night and drink.

Or, find a friend who is staying in to be your designated sober person.