NIU softball: Five Huskies earn conference honors

By Northern Star staff

Five softball student-athletes earned All-MAC honors, the conference announced Tuesday.

Sophomore first baseman Kayti Grable, junior catcher Emily Naegele and senior utility player/pitcher Jessica Sturm were named to the All-MAC First Team. Freshman pitcher Keegan Hayes and freshman infielder Bekah Harnish were named to the MAC’s All-Freshman Team.

Grable picked up her second All-MAC First Team selection in two seasons. She was also named the MAC Freshman of the Year last season. Grable posted a slash line of .413/.514/.769 while driving in 45 RBIs and clubbing a single-season program record of 14 home runs.

Naegele came on strong during conference play, batting .422 with four home runs and a team-high 26 RBIs in 20 MAC games.

Sturm helped the Huskies out at the plate and in the circle. She went 11-11 with a 3.30 ERA and 69 strikeouts. At the plate she hit .303 with 18 RBIs and 16 runs scored.

Harnish started all 51 games and posted a .964 fielding percentage while playing throughout the infield. She hit .238 with 22 RBIs and led the Huskies with 11 doubles.

Hayes locked down the No. 2 pitcher role behind Sturm in her first season. She went 15-9 with a 2.65 ERA and three complete-game shutouts.