College of Visual and Performing Arts offers summer camps to junior, high school students

By Northern Star staff

The College of Visual and Performing Arts will hold Summer Art Camps for junior and high school students.

Theater, visual arts and instrumental jazz camps will be held. Each summer camp will last six days and will be led by a faculty member or alumnus or alumna.

The NIU Jazz Camp and the Junior Theatre Arts Camp will run July 12-17. The Jazz Camp will be taught by assistant professor Geof Bradfield and Nathan Wyman, Judson College theater faculty member.

The NIU Visual Arts and the Senior Theatre Arts camps will take place July 19-24. The Senior Theatre Arts Camp will be taught by Wyman, and the Visual Arts Camp will be led by Lynn Stockton, alumna and Jefferson High School art teacher.

Campers will be staying at Gilbert Hall throughout their six-day camping experience, and they can participate in evening activities like basketball, bowling, movies and talent shows.

Camp scholarships will be available. Josh Anderson, director of external programs at the College of Visual and Performance Arts, said each scholarship is worth $250, which will cover about half of the registration camp cost. Scholarships applications are now available and are due by May 1.

Go to bit.ly/1O0cUnH to register or apply for scholarships.