Weekend Guide: April 16

By Northern Star staff

Enjoy the warmer weather by getting out and going to local events.

Today

Catch the final wrap-up of film festival Reality Bytes 7-8:15 p.m. in Cole Hall, Room 100. Screen writer Mark Valadez, who has written for shows like “Scrubs,” will share his expertise and Hollywood writing experiences with fans and filmmakers.

Join the School of Art for an Art Institute of Chicago and shopping bus trip, which is part of NIU’s Asian American Heritage Month. Attendees will get to view Japanese prints in the institute’s Asian collection then shop at Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights. Tickets cost $12 to $23. Contact Art Museum director Jo Burke at 815-753-1936 to sign up.

Friday

Green Paws Environmental Alliance, an environmental advocacy group, will hold its second Green Bash to promote sustainability. The event will include a dunk tank, a 50/50 raffle, food vendors and upcycled goods. Green Bash will take place 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Martin Luther King Jr. Commons.

Grab your best teal clothing and accessories and head to the Holmes Student Center, Capital Room, for a Wear Teal For Lexy Dance Party. Donations from the event will benefit a student worker at the Center for Latino and Latin American Studies who is receiving chemotherapy for cancer. You can support the cause by wearing teal even if you can’t donate.

Saturday

Break into PandemoNIUm with friends at the Campus Activities Board’s event, which will include a basketball tournament, mechanical bull and obstacle course. The event, which is 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. at the Recreation Center, is free. Students must bring their OneCards and register at NIUTickets.com.

Check out bands Family Groove Company and Prichard Harter for a night full of funk, jazz, rock and bluegrass. The show starts 9 p.m. at The House Cafe, 263 E. Lincoln Highway. Tickets cost $10 to $12.

Sunday

The Concert Choir, Chamber Choir and University Chorus will perform 3 p.m. at the Music Building’s Boutell Memorial Concert Hall. The groups will perform songs by James Whitbourn, Mozart, Thomas Greaves and other composers.

If you’re 21 or older and love jazz, these Jazz Session Sundays are for you. Artists from the International Association of Jazz Education will set the mood as you enjoy food and drinks at Fatty’s Pub and Grille, 1312 W. Lincoln Highway. The jazz sessions are 9 p.m. every Sunday for the rest of the semester and are free.