Choirs include Broadway tunes in seasonal concert

By Alexis Malapitan

The Chamber Choir, Concert Choir and University Chorus will incorporate broadway and show tunes into their spring concert Sunday.

Associate professor Eric Johnson and University Chorus director Brett Goad will direct the concert. The co-ed choir groups will perform songs from composers Vaclovas Augustinas, Eric Idle, John Du Prez and Leonard Bernstein.

Stanley Baldwin, graduate vocal performance student, said his favorite piece that’s going to be performed is called “A Welsh Lullaby.”

“I’m really looking forward to sharing our music with the audience,” Baldwin said.

The choir will perform songs from “Make Our Garden Grow,” a free Broadway-style concert Johnson held to benefit the DeKalb County Community Gardens.

The Concert Choir will also add pieces such as “Tykus Tykus,” a Lithuanian folk tune about a man riding from battle who falls in love with a woman.

Mollie Wang, sophomore rehabilitation services major and concert choir member, said she hopes the audience can connect with the music.

“I’m really excited to just perform and get our music heard,” Wang said. “Because when you actually hear it you’ll find that there is a lot of meaning to it. I hope the people who watch it enjoy what we have to offer.”

Freshman biology major Zach Peters said he hopes the audience can see the passion, effort and love for music the choir has put together and leaves with a new appreciation for different types of music.