‘Star Wars Outlaws’ fantastic or flop

Characters from the upcoming “Star Wars” game talk to each other. Ubisoft released a cinematic trailer for “Star Wars Outlaws” on April 9. (Ubisoft under Fair Use)

Since its announcement in 2021, “Star Wars Outlaws” has been surrounded by mixed opinions on whether it will be good, and the new trailer doesn’t help the game’s case. 

On April 9, Ubisoft released a cinematic trailer showcasing pieces of the game’s overall story, release date and pre-order rewards. 

“Star Wars Outlaws” will be a third-person shooter, open-world game set in the time between the movies “Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi.” 

The story revolves around the protagonist, an up-and-coming scoundrel named Kay Vess, as she travels to familiar planets and becomes more involved with powerful criminal organizations such as “The Hutts” and “The Pikes.” 

As the player progresses further through the story, they will travel from planet to familiar planet and interact with various characters and situations that can raise or lower their value in the eyes of the crime syndicates. 

Along with a glimpse at the overall story, the trailer also confirmed a release date for the game as well as early access. 

“Star Wars Outlaws” is scheduled to release Aug. 30, however, players who purchase the “gold edition,” “ultimate edition” or “Ubisoft+ premium” will be able to receive the game three days early along with the season pass and extra cosmetics. 

At first glance, the game may look appealing and has the potential to be a fantastic hit, however, it also has a very high chance of being a fantastic flop and not worth the money. 

While the base game may cost $69.99, which is in the same price range as other big games like “Marvel’s Spider-Man 2” and “Star Wars Jedi: Survivor,” some pieces of the game are locked behind a massive DLC paywall. 

Ubisoft, the developers of “Star Wars Outlaws,” are notorious for their horribly managed games and ridiculously expensive DLCs, which tend to be available on launch and not worth the money necessary to access them. 

Unfortunately, it seems like “Star Wars Outlaws” might fall into that same category as the cost of the gold edition of the game is $109.99 and $129.99 for the ultimate edition. 

That is a huge price for a small amount of cosmetics, a digital artbook and a small side quest. 

The general idea behind the game is an interesting change of pace from the perspective of a Jedi or another big hero, however, Ubisoft’s atrocious execution of selling the game may discourage fans from playing it before it even launches.