Focus group allows student input on buses

Brett Williams, Student Association director of Mass Transit, facilitates the SA’s first open forum for student input on the Huskie Bus Line Wednesday in The Campus Life Building, Room 180. Students and members of the SA discussed adding and subtracting buses, extending bus line times and adding bus routes.

By Alexander Chettiath

Students proposed bus routes in the first student-centered focus group about the Huskie Line Wednesday.

The focus group is the first of several the Student Association will host as it looks for input on changes to the Huskie Bus Line. A point of the change looks to employ student input on bus routes and design. The change is a result of the Master Plan Thesis, which includes an extension of Lucinda Avenue to create a 10-minute campus.

Brett Williams, SA director of Mass Transit, headed the focus groups and opened the meeting to any questions or suggestions from students. Williams gave each student tabs to place on a map to designate a stop in hopes of transfiguring routes to students’ needs.

“This is actually kind of a big deal because what it represents is a new attitude that will go on with the new bus line,” Williams said.

Sarah Brazeau, sophomore visual communications major, said she was concerned about how fast the buses to the residence halls would fill up near the end of the day.

“The one bus that takes you from the [Holmes] Student Center to the dorms gets full in two minutes,” Brazeau said. “I would think a shuttle that goes down Lucinda would be awesome.”

Jitendra Emmani, graduate operation management and information systems student, said there are infrequent bus stops at Barsema Hall after evening classes. Students must wait in the cold for at least 10 minutes if they missed the bus, Emmani said.

Other issues addressed were how late the buses would be able to run to reduce the gap between their last run and the start of the Huskie Safe Line, which runs 11 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.; shuttles from parking areas and the quality of the Huskie Pups.

This was the first focus group and more are to be announced, but there are no set dates.

“You guys are in charge, you guys pay for the system, you should be the ones to tell us where the buses go,” Williams said.