Barsema Express added to Huskie Line after requests at focus group

By Andre Philliips

The Student Association is preparing to unveil the Barsema Express after suggestions for the route came from a focus group.

The Barsema Express would begin at the Holmes Student Center and travel to DuSable Hall and the residence halls. Instead of heading south toward businesses on Lincoln Highway, the Barsema Express will re-route to the residence halls again, picking up students at DuSable Hall, Barsema Hall, the Engineering Building and the Music Building.

A start date for the Barsema Express is unknown as the bus is still in the planning stages, said Brett Williams, SA director of Mass Transit.

Junior accountancy major Brian Robinson said he understands getting to classes in a timely manner is important and most upperclassmen require extensive amounts of study time, which Barsema Hall is able to offer since it is open 24/7.

“I would love if there was a bus that picked students up from Barsema late and serviced off-campus apartments as well as on-campus housing for the underclassmen,” Robinson said.

A Feb. 11 focus group focused its concerns on improved access to buses for business and engineering students, especially those trying to get to Barsema Hall at night, Williams said.

The focus group was a part of the SA’s plan to ask for student input on changes to the Huskie Bus Line regarding bus routes and design. The Huskie Bus Line change is a result of the Master Plan Thesis, which includes the deconstruction of Douglas Hall and an extension of Lucinda Avenue to create a 10-minute campus.

Sophomore engineering major Devonte Rodgers said the Barsema Express going to the residence halls is a great idea since the Business Careers House is located in Grant C Tower. The Business Careers House is a Living Learning Community for business majors.

No further focus group dates have been set, but Williams said he hopes to continue having focus groups and listen to what students want for the Huskie Bus Line.