In Case You Missed It: Fall 2014

By Rachel Scaman

Sept. 22: Bus routes change for safety

Huskie buses were moved back to the turnaround on the west side of the Holmes Student Center due to pedestrian safety concerns on Sept. 29.

The bus turnaround was moved to a strip east of the Holmes Student Center on Normal Road in the summer. But, the SA received complaints saying the buses blocked pedestrians’ view of oncoming cars when they were trying to cross at the east turnaround on Normal Road.

The only Huskie buses that continue to use the east turnaround are the Nos. 6 and 7. Buses carrying visitors from other schools also use the turnaround.

Oct. 30: Changes to Huskie Stadium coming

It was announced that Huskie Stadium and its athletic facilities will see overhauls which have an estimated cost of $138 million as part of Athletics Director Sean Frazier’s Facilities Master Plan.

Plans include Huskie Stadium having a horseshoe shape after end zone seating is added to the south side of the stadium. Seating will increase to 30,000-35,000 from 24,000. Frazier also said naming rights for the stadium may be available.

Frazier said the facilities overhauls will be privately funded and there is no timeline.

Oct. 8: Huskie Pups arrive on campus

Three $18,500 Huskie Pups were expected to be on campus after NIU’s first 11-passenger shuttle was debuted Oct. 3.

The Pup runs a route on the sidewalks from the Recreation Center to the Martin Luther King Jr. Commons.

Belinda Roller, an Architectural and Engineering Services architect who worked on the project, said any concerns regarding the Huskie Pups will be addressed as they arise.

Nov. 24: Dance Marathon goal reached

Students raised $52,336 for the Children’s Miracle Network and Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago at Dance Marathon Nov. 23.

Participants danced for eight hours at the Holmes Student Center to raise awareness and to give ill children and their families the opportunity to attend the event. Students donate and raise money for the charity event. Each participant was given a goal of $200.

Students raised $34,761 during last year’s Dance Marathon.

Aug. 26: Acceptable Use Policy being updated

NIU announced it is updating its Acceptable Use Policy to make it clear students can access social media, explicit material and other sites without worrying about a firewall or warning signs popping up.

The newly implemented firewall warnings and language in the university’s Acceptable Use Policy confused some who thought NIU was trying to ban students from visiting certain sites.

The Acceptable Use Policy hasn’t been changed since it was created in 2007, said Chief Information Officer Brett Coryell.