Artists project work via light

By Andrew Roberts

Time arts students, who specialize in animation and interactive art, will show end-of-semester projects that shed light on the program.

The students will showcase their work at the Time Arts Project Light House Art Show 6 p.m. Tuesday at The House Cafe, 263 E. Lincoln Highway. The artists will create moving images, such as looping videos, that are projected on an object that is related to the video or image.

“The students are taking these projectors and making light sculptures with video,” said Bart Woodstrup, time arts assistant professor. “The sun sets so early and it’s dark; it’s a great time of the year to get out there and have sort of a light festival.”

Project Light House is derived from an idea of creating a light festival.

“I was interested in the performative type aspect of it,” said Whitney Bandel, graduate time arts student. “I’ve learned circuit building, robotic stuff; time arts is an area that’s been embracing technology the most. It’s very adaptable in a lot of different areas.”

Time art students will utilize the environment by creating displays that blend and shift with the shape they are projected on. The objects the images will be projected upon vary from a simple wall to a plant.

“I really think it’s a great way for time arts majors to get their art out there,” said Mike Hirter, senior time arts major. “Everyone has a very different style. You’re not going to see, essentially, the same kind of artwork. We have edgy people who will project something dark, sort of suspenseful, and we have people who are very lighthearted and will project something fun and cutesy.”

The showcase also serves as an experiment on augmented reality, Woodstrup said.

“You get to experience the art piece in its entirety,” said Dave Pristave, senior time arts major. “The art feels more alive. When you create a piece of art that’s just a picture on a wall, you can tell a story. But to achieve something like pulling thoughts from a person’s head and for them to then comprehend what they’re looking at in animation, it gives them the immersion factor.”