Percussionists highlight berimbau at fall concert

By Deanna Frances

The Percussion Ensemble will premiere pieces written by professors and students 8 p.m. Nov. 10 at the Music Building’s Boutell Memorial Concert Hall.

The fall concert, directed by professors Greg Beyer and Michael Mixtacki, will feature works by Beyer and Alexis Lamb, senior music education and percussion performance major. Lamb and Beyer’s project, Projeto Arcomusical, began as a way to create percussion music and raise awareness of the Afro-Brazilian musical bow instrument, the berimbau.

Lamb said she and Beyer have worked on compositions for the instrument for two years and Monday’s concert will be the premiere of their work, including “Berimbau Quintet No. 1” and “Mudança de Onda.”

“We’re using this concert as an opportunity to premiere the pieces for the public,” Lamb said.

Beyer said being able to work with Lamb while composing this work has been an amazing personal and professional musical experience. The two thought highly of the instrument and thought they could create music that would highlight it, he said.

“The project we’ve been working on is also going to a tour in Indianapolis,” Beyer said. “The process of composing this has been inspiring. There are many parts of it that are very special.”

The concert will also feature pieces performed this year by students at other festivities, said Kyle Flens, graduate percussion performance major.

“Two compositions that we performed at the New Music Festival last week will also be played,” Flens said. “This concert is an accumulation of things we’ve performed in the past mixed with new work, as well.”