Homecoming traditions bring students together

DeKalb High School fans cheer on their team during the DeKalb Homecoming football game Friday at DeKalb High School, 501 W. Dresser Road. The DeKalb Barbs beat Morris High School, 42-0.

By Mariah Harden

The DeKalb Barbs continued their winning streak by defeating Morris High School 42-0 at their Homecoming game, making their record 6-0.

Audrey Villalpando, DeKalb High School senior and cheerleader, said the football game brings everyone together. DeKalb High School, 501 W. Dresser Road, is hosting a movie night, chili dinner and a town-wide assembly for this year’s Homecoming, said Austin Hop, DeKalb High School senior and student leader.

Despite all the themed dress-up days, pep rallies and the dance, the football game is the best part of Homeconing, said Villalpando.

“The student section is rowdier and we feed off of the energy,” Villalpando said. “It’s just really fun.”

Hop said the white morph suit he was wearing at the game is passed on year to year by student section leaders. Hop said this is a tradition that has been going on for four years.

Another tradition: Selecting a theme, which is “Empire State of Mind” this year. DeKalb students had white T-shirts that displayed the theme in silver letters.

Tamra Ropeter, DeKalb High School principal, said the difference between this year’s Homecoming and last year’s is the attitude of the people who were at the game. Attendance numbers were not immediately available.

“Look out at all these people,” Ropeter said. “I’ve never seen this kind of spirit.”