Pass/Fail: Non-traditional office gives awards; Proposed energy solution not viable

By Tim Bullen

Pass: Non-traditional office gives awards

The Off-Campus and Non-Traditional Student Services Department helps non-traditional students remain notified of all of NIU’s campus programs, resources and information.

The Off-Campus and Non-Traditional Student Services Department holds an award program to help students feel welcome by nominating students as Featured Adult Learners and, through sharing their unique stories, recognizes “the contributions that these students provide to NIU fosters their sense of visibility and advocacy on campus, in addition to encouraging a stronger presence on campus,” according to the award’s website.

Non-traditional students nominate non-traditional students, faculty or staff on the criteria of leadership, character and academic success. A nominee may also be chosen for having an inspirational story that is deserving of peer recognition.

Being selected as a Featured Adult Learner also grants automatic eligibility for the Eli Whitney Award of Excellence in the spring. The award is presented on an annual basis and recognizes outstanding non-traditional students of various backgrounds and documents how they came to NIU and what they hope to accomplish after graduation.

Fail: Proposed energy solution not viable

Cole Hall was at capacity Friday for the chance to hear Richard Alley, a renowned Penn State geoscience professor, speak about climate change and future energy solutions.

One of the methods Alley thinks will have a big impact is harnessing the wind via windmills. This is certainly an enticing option, especially when considering the location of DeKalb and the amount of wind punishment corn-belt living dishes out.

Alternative methods of energy are important for our future; this is something students can agree on. The methods that can be used and which ones should see the most allocation of resources to create energy is where the discussion becomes very different.

I don’t agree that people should have to deal with their property being designated to share space with a windmill because of the safety hazard they may represent.

Much debate surrounds the notion of “wind turbine syndrome,” an alleged condition suffered by people living close to windmills, with its symptoms ranging from nose bleeds, insomnia and depression. These environmental debates are important to understand and follow because the argumental ends don’t always justify the means.