Delta Zeta wins Tugs for 8th straight year

By Ashley Morse

Delta Zeta tugged its way to an eighth consecutive championship win in an event Kara Homolka, the sorority’s Tugs team captain, said was “great” for bringing together the Greek community.

The Women’s Tugs tournament kicked off Friday at University Plaza, 900 Crane Drive, with champions Delta Zeta defeating Alpha Phi Omega. Megan LeDonne, a member of the Alpha Phi Omega Tugs team, said she wanted to join her fraternity’s team because she saw male students doing it and wanted to represent her organization. Fraternity Tugs is held in the spring.

The tournament concluded Saturday with Delta Zeta over Delta Gamma and Alpha Delta Pi over Alpha Sigma Alpha to place Delta Zeta and Alpha Delta Pi in the championships. Delta Gamma won third place against Alpha Sigma Alpha.

Delta Zeta defeated Alpha Delta Pi and secured the championship for the eighth year in a row, which Homolka, a senior, said was important to show freshmen members the tradition of the sorority’s championship record.

The Tugs tournament involves a month-long training session, said Fiona Hunter, a Delta Zeta Tug member, where each sorority is coached by a fraternity and the fraternity members joins the matches by calling out moves. Hunter said tuggers spend at least two and a half hours each day practicing for the tournament, depending on weather conditions.

The event raises money for Dance Marathon, a charity for children in hospitals that involves high school and college students dancing 12-40 hours. The Dance Marathon will be held Nov. 23. More than $6,000 was raised for Dance Marathon, said Karina Parada, a member of the marketing committee for Dance Marathon.

The group that recorded the most attendees with University Plaza, which was Alpha Phi Omega, had $500 donated to its philanthropy by University Plaza.