University Plaza renovation plan not winning over some residents

By Gavin Weaver

Some students who live in University Plaza are unhappy with plans that will change the residence hall into apartment-style living.

The changes, scheduled to be completed by the beginning of the next academic year, were approved at the Sept. 8 City Council meeting and residents were notified Thursday. University Plaza has had its south tower empty since the beginning of the semester. Renovations will start immediately to begin the transition from residence hall-style living to fully furnished apartment style-living. University Plaza will still only service students who attend NIU or Kishwaukee College.

Ariana Salcido, sophomore communicative disorders major and University Plaza resident, said she was not made aware of planned renovations to the building when signing her lease.

“I came here and they didn’t tell any of us that the other tower [South tower] wasn’t open,” Salcido said. “… I feel bad for the current staff.”

Ethan Urborg, operation management and information systems major, said he chose University Plaza for the amenities and the pricing. Urborg said residence hall-style living should be an option for students who want to live off-campus.

For the 2014-2015 academic year, University Plaza has room prices ranging $3,550-$6,250, according to its website, www.uplaza/rooms.html.

“I actually really like it. I lived in Neptune my freshman year. [University Plaza] has working [air conditioning] and hot water,” Urborg said. “Not everyone is ready to make their own food yet and live in an apartment.”

Mayor John Rey said University Plaza will have about 496 apartments — down from 1,100 bedrooms — with the renovations. He said this would provide contemporary apartment option for the student population.

Representatives of Capstone Realty, which manages University Plaza, did not respond to requests for comment.