Board of Trustees to discuss future projects, consider budget approval

Interim CFO Nancy Suttenfield speaks about NIU’s budget proposal during a Board of Trustees Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee meeting on Sept. 1, 2014, in Altgeld Hall.

By Gavin Weaver

The Board of Trustees will consider approving a university request for state funding to renovate several academic buildings at its meeting today.

The Fiscal Year 2016 Capital Request consists of the university’s required repair and renovation appropriations and will be presented to the BoT for approval beginning 9 a.m. today in Altgeld Hall, Room 315.

The request can include facility and system improvements, building additions and site or utility improvements. It is assembled in the fall before the budget year to comply with the Illinois Board of Higher Education and state capital project review submission schedules.

The university has eight capital projects in its FY 2016 Capital Request:

• A Computer Science, Health Informatics and Technology Center, which would accommodate equipment, learning labs and “cutting edge” technology to “develop a nationally competitive program” in health and technology, according to the BoT agenda.

• A Davis Hall renovation, which has not been done in more than 70 years besides a 1965 telescope installation and 1975 air conditioning system addition, according to the agenda. The agenda cites roof failing, restroom locations and inadequate fume hoods as issues with Davis Hall.

• Ventilation replacement for academic buildings, of which Reavis, Watson and Montgomery halls are of main concern, as well as window replacement for Montgomery and Faraday halls and the Psychology Building, according to the agenda.

• Road repair and reconfiguration due to freeze damage, construction and Huskie Bus traffic, according to the agenda. No roads are named.

• A Wirtz Hall renovation — which has been listed in the previous eight Capital Requests, according to the agenda — due to deterioration in electrical infrastructure.

• Campus signs, to be discussed with a consultant to address campus boundary and landscape improvements as well as pedestrian directional signs, to allow students to navigate the university’s 50 major buildings.

• Elevator rehabilitation, which includes the renovation of elevators and car stations across campus, for Faraday, Graham, Montgomery, and Swen Parson halls and Health Services.

• A 100,000-square foot Hoffman Estates facility. The 22-year-old campus cannot accommodate as many as 18 academic offerings, according to the agenda, and needs a new facility to encourage more “noncredit training, updating and conference activities.”

Approved Feb. 14, the statewide FY 2015 IBHE Capital Budget Recommendation was a $107 million for a request that included a Computer Science, Health Informatics and Technology Center, Wirtz Hall renovation, campus road repair, Davis Hall renovation and capital renewal projects.

Pending the BoT’s approval, the request will be submitted to the IBHE on Oct. 15 for its consideration in including the request in the FY 2016 IBHE Capital Budget Recommendation. The proposed budget for FY 2016 will be announced by the governor in March.