Nicklas resigns as NIU vice president of operations and community relations

Bill Nicklas, vice president of Operations and Community Relations, speaks about the Student Association resolution passed unanimously to urge the administration to cease its consideration of a second-year residency requirement for the residence halls in late March during the SA Senate meeting in the Holmes Student Center’s Sky Room.

By Kelly Bauer

Bill Nicklas, vice president of operations and community relations, has resigned to focus on his family and friends effective Nov. 1.

Nicklas was named the vice president of operations and community relations in early March, overseeing the NIU police department and human resource services, among other areas. Before that he served as vice president of public safety and community relations.

“The decision was mine. And as I told the president recently, I received a better offer and it was from my family and friends who thought I had forsaken them,” Nicklas told the Northern Star Monday. “And I had some reservations about it. I work with some really good people in the operations divisions and also in my other capacities before I became VP, and I have enjoyed the opportunities that President Baker has given me.

“I am not leaving to any other job or prospect. I’m just going to take a little time and think about what’s best for myself and my family.”

Nicklas became a university administrator in October 2011, when former NIU President John Peters named Nicklas the associate vice president for institutional planning and sustainability. He was unanimously selected by a search committee for that position, according to an NIU Today news release.

Nicklas was named the acting director of public safety in November 2012, replacing then-Police Chief Donald Grady. Grady was later fired, and Nicklas was named in a pending lawsuit Grady filed that alleges he was discriminated against.

Nicklas also served as city manager of DeKalb for five years and Sycamore for 13 years. He received his master’s and doctorate from NIU in 1973 and 1983, respectively.