Defensive line undergoes revamp

Former defensive tackle Ken Bishop tackles Akron Zips running back Jawon Chisholm Oct. 12 at Huskie Stadium. The Huskies lost their starting front four, and they have eight returning defensive linemen who saw playing time last season and six returning defensive linemen who didn’t play last season to fill the hole.

By Frank Gogola

Football wants to build a defensive line so good it’s “bad.”

The Huskies lost their entire starting front four — Ken Bishop, George Rainey, Joe Windsor and Anthony Wells. They also lost Stephen O’Neal, who played in 12 games and started one, and Zach Anderson, who played in three games, to graduation. Now, a new cast will take center stage.

“Our D-line has to step up, and we know that,” said senior defensive end Jason Meehan. “It’s kind of a challenge to us. Right now, we’re just coming together, but we’re going to put together a bad defensive line to come and get everybody.”

With the departure of Bishop, Rainey, Windsor, Wells, O’Neal and Anderson, the Huskies lost the production of 208 total tackles, 30 tackles for loss, 18 quarterback hurries, 13.5 sacks, 10 passes defended, four fumble recoveries, three interceptions, two forced fumbles and two blocked kicks from the 2013 season.

“Any time you lose experienced guys and replace them with guys who haven’t played as much, you have a learning curve you’re dealing with, and it just takes time,” said defensive coordinator Jay Niemann. “They’re working hard, they’re making improvements, and we just have to keep bringing them along.”

Meehan, who played in all 14 games last season, paces returning defensive linemen in total tackles (31) and sacks (6.5). He is second in tackles for loss (seven).

Junior defensive end Perez Ford, who played in all 14 games and started two in 2013, leads all returning defensive linemen in tackles for loss (eight) and quarterback hurries (three). He is second in total tackles (24) and sacks (four).

Redshirt senior defensive tackle Donovan Gordon played in 13 games last season and started five games, the most among any returning defensive linemen. He is third among returners in total tackles (23).

“I don’t put all the pressure on one kid,” said defensive line coach Brett Diersen. “Leading’s hard [because] you have to do everything, and you have to do everything right. … I think it’s going to be a group thing; they can all lead. And, to me, you lead by actions. If you’re out there working your tail off and doing the right things on the field and in the classroom, I think that’s easy to follow. If you’re not then it’s hard to follow.”

Other defensive linemen who saw action last season and will see an increase in playing time this season include redshirt sophomores Mario Jones, Michael Ippolito, Matthew Baltimore and Corey Thomas and sophomore Austin Smaha.

Redshirt junior Cameron Clinton-Earl, junior Ben Compton, redshirt sophomore Thomas Scanlan and redshirt freshmen Brian Canoy, William Lee and Cal Breedlove didn’t participate in any contests last season but will have the opportunity to earn playing time this season.

“It’s still spring ball, so we’re still striving to get better and better and not make any mistakes,” Meehan said. “We’re still panning some of those things out with some of the younger guys who haven’t been playing as much. … We know the spotlight’s on us because a lot of guys left … and we can’t wait for people to see the finished product.”