Students to honor Apollo Theater in NIU talent show

By Shikha Duttyal

Black Male Initiative and S.I.S.T.E.R.S. are bringing a little bit of New York to NIU with their annual Apollo Show.

The show is based on the historic Apollo Theater in Harlem, N.Y. As a form of entertainment for the campus and the community, students will get a chance to show their talents.

The show will premiere 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium. The hosts for the evening are Sterling Williams, Mary Gentry and DJ TQ.

“It’s a showcase for NIU talent,” said Don Bramlett, Black Male Initiative adviser. “It’s a show to identify NIU students.”

Bramlett has been helping put on the Apollo Theater show for eight years and said it tends to get better each year.

“Last year around 1,000 people came. It’s like an annual event,” said Yannick Koua, junior community leadership and civic engagement major. “Every year we as students, audition 10 to 12 people to perform and help students enjoy.”

Koua has been the director of the show for two years and has been busy in organizing the event since last semester.

“It’s always good for students to have an opportunity like this to be able to show their talents, and it’s something that not every university offers,” said Karen Meyer, freshman business administration major. “Something annual is always good for students to be able to remember and plan for.”

Bramlett said tickets will be for sale Wednesday. Tickets are $5 for current students and $7 for non-students.