SA Senate Speaker makes exit

By Shaz Sheikhali

James Zanayed, former Student Association Senate Speaker, bid the SA farewell at its meeting Sunday.

The meeting also featured executive reports about the SA’s adviser workshops and cabinet reports about advertising and university printing.

Speaker

Zanayed will graduate this semester with a political science degree.

Zanayed gave his last speech to the senators. He said he had an amazing ride as SA speaker.

“I am proud of this Senate in particular, the 45th session,” Zanayed said. “The Student Association is not about yourself. It is about the students that we’re representing.”

SA adviser Kelli Bradley swore Dillon Domke in as SA Speaker.

Committee reports

Deneisha Goolcharan, Public Affairs Committee chairman, reported that the SA received 314 responses to its survey about student awareness of the SA.

Goolcharan said 135 students reported they know about the SA, 160 did not know that it exists and 19 had a small idea of what the SA is.

According to the surveys, the students want to be involved more in events and want more parking spots and attractive events.

Executive reports

SA President Jack Barry charged the senators with coming back with goals and initiatives for the spring semester.

“What’s your legacy going to be?” Barry said.

SA Vice President Kaliah Smith reported on the adviser workshops that were held on Dec. 2 and Tuesday.

The purpose of the workshops was to discuss the roles and involvement of advisers of student organizations. Smith said the participants discussed becoming more of a guide to their organizations, being more engaged with the organizations and their events and being involved in any changes the organizations make.

Cabinet reports

Advertising Director Jennifer Mader said she is in the process of contacting the radio station 106.3 to get radio ads about SA.

Ali Clukey, director of Information Technology, said the SA’s executive branch received new computers and the cost did not exceed the project’s budget.

Each computer cost just more than $700 and 15 machines were purchased.

Clukey also said students can contact members of the Computing Facilities Advisory Committee and submit feedback in regard to NIU charging students for printing.

Other business

Michael Wilder was elected as senator.