Alumna explains goal of Malaysian economy

By James Green

International management alumna and former CEO Datuk Noripah Kamso gave students a talk on Malaysian economic growth Tuesday as part of International Week.

Tuesday, Kamso gave a presentation to students about Malaysia’s ongoing work toward becoming a developed financial power in the world and its focus on becoming a global Islamic finance hub.

A Malaysian international student from the 70s, Kamso is the former CEO of CIMB-Principal Asset Management Berhad. She is also the recipient of the title “Datuk,” awarded by the state for her corporate success and involvement in society.

Islamic finance methods emphasize responsible business practices, Kamso said. Islamic finance encourages real asset ownership before making sales, low or no leverages and interest, and avoids excessively risky financial decisions. Kamso hopes by showing students alternative methods of finance now, it will give them new perspectives on business and inspire them for the future.

“There are many opportunities outside America, and there are other ways of finance and business that can make a difference in the world,” Kamso said.

Denise Schoenbachler, dean of the College of Business, invited Kamso to share her success with students and give them motivation as well as a “piece of the rest world.”

“We in the United States are just part of a much bigger world, and it’s all very connected,” Schoenbachler said. “Whether or not they know it now, our students will be acting in a world marketplace.”

Understanding these connections is vital for students’ career success, said Deborah Pierce, associate provost of International Programs.

“Graduates in the 21st century cannot be successful with a solid understanding of global perspectives,” Pierce said.

Pierce also hopes students will take what they learned on Tuesday and cooperate with professors to incorporate global perspectives into their work. She also hopes Kamso’s presentation will inspire students to study abroad and get first-hand international experience.