Student event helps Fanatico to succeed

By Lauren Iverson

Fanatico’s student appreciation night Saturday was a great success with tasty food, an impressive DJ and cheap alcohol.

Student appreciation night started in mid-October as a project for a class that asked students to find a local business and help with its advertising. Fanatico, 1215 Blackhawk Road, took 15 percent off food for students for November.

The restaurant has seen a 60 to 70 percent increase in student clientele since the project took effect, said Fanatico manager Simo Spaijoski.

“A lot of students don’t know about us,” Spaijoski said. “It’s something a little different from other dining in DeKalb. Plus, we employ many students here.”

Spaijoski is a warm, personable manager who welcomed guests with a friendly smile. With customers ranging from Jordan Lynch to Dennis Barsema, this restaurant has featured plenty of local celebrities, but Spaijoski made everyone feel like they were a celebrity Saturday night.

Upon sitting at the bar, Spaijoski was quick to come over and say “hello” with a smile. He remembered the names of people who had been there before.

I loved that Fanatico offered three simple things many colleges students enjoy: food, music and discounted alcohol. This simple and smart strategy reflected Friday’s large attendance.

Food offerings included pizza and fried pickles. The small and easy foods didn’t take away from students’ conversations or dancing. It made eating easier but having fun the priority.

“It’s a great family-owned place: quality food, quality drinks with great prices,” said junor communication major Griffin Curcio. “I’m Italian, and I have respect for them. They do it right here.”

The $3 Absolut Peach Vodka and Red Bull was refreshing and had an excellent alcohol-to-Red Bull ratio. It was not overly strong but was the perfect amount mixed together.

With the music hopping in the background from the DJ, students danced the night away.