Students hook on to ‘Catfish’ showing

By Samantha McCoy

The popularity of the documentary “Catfish” has students hooked, and professors are reeling them in with a local event.

Students can watch and discuss the implications of the documentary 7 p.m. Thursday in the Montgomery Hall auditorium. “Catfish” is a 2010 documentary about a man named Nev who forms a relationship with a woman via Facebook; however, Nev learns she is not who she seems to be. This film inspired MTV’s “Catfish: The TV Show.” Dee Anna Phares, North Central College professor, will host a discussion about the film at the Thursday event.

“The discussion will consist of the whole idea of the pursuit of privacy,” Phares said. “And if something is out on the Internet, do you have a right to privacy?”

Phares said the conversation will be open-ended because she wants to get people’s honest reactions.

“…What if someone was following us around on the Internet?” Phares said.

During the discussion, attendees will elaborate on investigating reality versus deception on the Internet.

“The interesting thing about the film is that so many people are meeting online today,” said NIU art museum coordinator Heather Green. “The film will be an interesting case study.”

Museum employees hope students can get a thorough understanding of social media.

“This is a very relevant film for a contemporary situation in society,” said Pete Olson, art museum assistant director. “This film takes a critical view on how you know what you know. [Anyone] involved with social media needs a deeper understanding on how we understand the world.”

Phares often teaches “Catfish” in her introduction to writing class.

“[I use it] to show how we write about ourselves and how you construct a persona online…,” Phares said.