Letter to the Editor: Students should attend ‘Bold Futures’

By James Zanayed

Northern Illinois University has experienced many changes and challenges in recent history. Even now, we face additional state funding cuts, all while our enrollment and retention rates continue to decline; however, these challenges are not insurmountable.

President Doug Baker’s Bold Futures workshops will bring faculty, staff, students and community members into the same rooms to brainstorm how we can adjust this university to fit our new motto of student career success. Student involvement in these workshops is critical.

In the past weeks the faculty and staff, alumni and community members have promptly enrolled in the workshops, but we are missing one key component: student participation.

It is impossible to adequately understand the underlying workings of NIU without the proper representation from the largest component of the university.

We cannot understand why our retention rate is struggling unless we solicit the opinions of as many students as possible.

Student career success cannot be attained unless we know what works from a student perspective. So I ask you to enroll yourself, and be an inspiration for others to enroll. NIU, as any other institution of this size, is a living, breathing entity. Changing the culture of such an entity is a major feat.

Our goals cannot be achieved until we unite all members of our NIU community — the professors, the staff and the students — with a plan and a vision for future success. These workshops will be a great start.