Homecoming in full force on campus

By Roxana Moraga

School spirit is in the air as Huskies prepare for Saturday’s Homecoming game.

Monday, the Homecoming Kickoff Rally was held at noon. Students were able to show their Huskie pride and meet some of the homecoming royalty candidates. Students and faculty were also able to participate in the Huskies Can Build It! event, which allowed teams to compete for who could build the most interesting structure out of canned goods and non-perishable items.

Around campus, students are preparing for the football game. Senior sociology major Paige Naylor is no exception.

“We’re gonna be NIU’d out. I have my NIU gear ready, Huskie face gear; I even ordered custom-made TOMS for the game — it’s my senior year, so I’m going all out,” Naylor said.

Nora Hadji, freshman biochemistry and Spanish major, said students should be responsible with their displays of Huskie pride.

“I think it’s good for people on campus to rally together and support the school we go to,” Hadji said. “But it can also be done negatively — I don’t think getting together to drink and party is the best way to show school spirit.”

Senior biology major Kyndall Taylor said school spirit is something that bring students together.

“Showing school spirit definitely brings us together as a community because, after all, it’s the one thing we all have in common,” she said.

Taylor also noticed signs of Huskie spirit in the city.

“I saw when I was driving down First Street, a lot of the restaurants and pubs had NIU banners and pictures of students,” Taylor said. “So I think that in general we show a lot of school spirit,”

Naylor said she was planning on tailgating and going to the Rep Yo Step show.

This year’s homecoming theme is Generations of Pride. Hadji said she can relate to the theme.

“Generations of Pride to me represents my two older brothers. Both of them went to NIU and were really involved on campus, and now I’m here as a freshman,” he said.

Taylor and Naylor said homecoming is a time when students and alumni can come together and celebrate.