DeKalb Park District to install ‘frolf’ targets

Sophmore Communications major, Lauren Kinsella puts a frisbee-golf disc at Welsh Park on Wednesday.

By Ryan Chodora

The DeKalb Park District will install four new disc golf targets this summer at Annie’s Woods Park, 401 Lucinda Ave.

Annie’s Woods will be the third park in DeKalb to cater to disc golf players. The funding for the Annie’s Woods project was funded by a grant through the Illinois Department of Natural Resources; the construction is going to be done in-house. Welsh Park, 651 Russell Road, hosts three disc golf targets, while Prairie Park, 401 Clifford Drive, offers a nine-hole course.

“I’ll come whenever there’s no snow on the ground, I’ll just bundle up and throw,” said Tanner Boyland, junior business administration student.

Disc golf, also known as Frisbee golf or frolf, is similar to regular golf, the player throws a special disc into a chain-link target rather than hitting a ball into a hole. The player with the lowest score wins.

“It’s fun. You see all kinds of people out there: You see NIU students, you see kids from the public school system, you see moms and dads and their kids out there, you see retired people, just all walks of life of the population are out there,” said Brad Garrison, assistant director of Planning and Development at the DeKalb Park District.

The DeKalb Park District installed the Prairie Park disc golf course in October 2005 following requests from several NIU students.

“I think it’s been pretty well-received,” Garrison said. “We put some benches in. We’ve been working on it over a period of time. We want to provide something that’s nice.”

Garrison said there are discussions to expand the Prairie Park course and install more targets in other parks, but there are no current plans.

“I play Frisbee golf because I like ultimate Frisbee a lot, and I hate normal golf, so this is a perfect median,” said senior finance student David Fairhurst. “I try to come out at least every day when it’s nice.”