Student Spotlight: Khatib Twins

By Logan Love

Inshirah Khatib and Iman Khatib are sophomore political science students and identical twins. They were studying in the Holmes Student Center while seeking refuge from Tuesday’s snowstorm.

Northern Star: What is college like with an identical twin?

Inshirah Khatib: Well, you at least know someone, you aren’t showing up as a freshman completely alone in a new environment.

Iman Khatib: You always have someone to go to for help or advice.

NS: Being identical twins, did you two ever switch places to avoid doing something?

Inshirah: I would go to her gym class because she didn’t want to run the mile, but I wouldn’t let her take an exam for me.

Iman: Yeah, same here.

NS: Why did you choose political science as your majors? What do you want to do after college?

Inshirah: I want to become state’s attorney someday, to put criminals and those who belong in jail behind bars. I’d like to get out of Illinois, maybe go to Colorado. I’ve heard so many great things about it.

Iman: Well, NIU doesn’t have a criminal justice program, just classes and certificates, but I’d like to be a police officer or FBI agent, something along those lines. I’m more interested in the non-city living there [in Colorado], the outdoors, nature.

NS: What has been the best part of NIU during your time here?

Inshirah: Meeting so many new people. If you went to a community college you would see the same people from high school. With a school like NIU you can join whichever group fits your interests.

Iman: Definitely meeting new people.

NS: What is one thing you would like to do before you graduate?

Inshirah: I want to study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country, since I am a Spanish minor–some place like Costa Rica or Spain. And I’d love to visit Barcelona.

Iman: I’d really like to go skydiving, and doing it over Spain would be amazing.

NS: Do you have any advice for fellow students?

Inshirah: Go to class. That’s what your grades are based on with attendance and quizzes.

Iman: Meet as many people and join as many groups as you are interested in. Take advantage of what DeKalb has to offer.