Class habits mirror the game of BINGO

By Cody Laplante

I have increasingly noticed how little attention is paid to professors in those large lecture classes. With this in mind, I decided to play a little game of Bingo.

Not normal Bingo, though–an adaptation of the classic game for a college lecture class I found on Facebook one night while attempting to avoid homework.

However, instead of numbers, I would be marking squares such as “someone eating an entire meal,” “student clearly working on something for another class” and “shameless sleeper.”

The question is, could I get five in a row?

Confident in my classmates’ indifference, I armed myself with a copy of my bingo card and chose my largest lecture class.

My lecture started promptly at 11 a.m. and there I was, ready and prepared. Looking to the girl on my right, I crossed off the free space (someone on Facebook).

Desperately scanning the blank squares I saw “achingly attractive member of the opposite sex” and directed my attention to the hot girl directly in front of me and crossed it off. Whoa, mama!

Looking around, I thanked the guy in the red hoodie whose head was glued to the desk as I marked off “shameless sleeper.”

Next to him sat a guy with plaid pajama pants slippers and the worst bed head I’ve seen in a while. I figured that counted as “student who obviously rolled out of bed five minutes ago” and happily marked the square.

I was getting close. I only needed three more in two rows. There was no going back. I was not leaving this class in failure.

After a quick self pep talk, I immediately noticed my subject for the square “(attempted) subtle cell phone use:” a girl obviously texting while using the classic pretending-to-look-at-my notes technique.

Next to her a male and female obviously in love satisfied the “flirting couple” bingo square, and next to them a girl slouched in her chair shamelessly texting sufficed for “blatant cell phone use.”

Now I was getting really excited. I only needed two more on the top row to achieve my goal: “someone leaving way early” and “nodding off student desperately trying to stay awake.” If I got those two, I was gold.

Then I saw him: a guy just three seats down with an extra tall latte that didn’t seem to be working. His head was slowly working its way down to his desk…Check.

Only one more to go. I figured this would take a while. Nobody would leave for another 20 minutes or so. Well, that’s what I was thinking until I saw her: My achingly attractive girl suddenly stood up, grabbed her bag and headed toward the door.

BINGO! I had done it and in only 20 minutes.

The moral of this story is don’t be a bingo square. I mean, come on, can’t we all pay attention in class?

Well, that’s what I was thinking until I took out my notebook and realized I had no idea what the professor was talking about. I had been too busy playing Bingo.