‘Conversation and Cappuccino’ triggers educational dialogue

By Cody Laplante

As a perspective columnist, opinion is a big part of my job. However, I realize the importance of hearing other peoples’ opinions on current issues as well as my own. For months now, I have been aching to hear what someone else has to say about current issues.

That is why I could not pass up an opportunity to meet with La Vonne Neal, the dean of the College of Education.

Although I like to pretend that I am important by writing things like that, the simple fact is that any student at NIU can meet with Neal and talk about current issues in education at the monthly “Conversation and Cappuccino” event she hosts.

In what turned out to be a very relaxed environment, the dean, myself and about 15 other students sat and talked while sipping hot cups of coffee, cocoa or apple cider.

In a very civil conversation, my thirst for opinion was quenched. The main question on everybody’s mind was, How should teachers be evaluated? The answer, as you probably guessed, is still unknown.

The dean posed the questions, “If teacher effectiveness matters, how do we measure efficacy?” and “Should we measure [teachers] based on student achievement and student growth?” One could almost see the gears turning in the crowd member’s minds from this.

“I would say that [achievement] shouldn’t be the whole assessment because growth is a very defining factor… Not every student is going to be an ‘A’ student,” said Kimberly Hart, a graduate student pursuing a master’s in educational counseling.

I agree with Hart; however, my main concern in response to the dean’s question is whether the tests we are using to measure achievement and growth are valid.

If you think about it, nowhere besides school is anyone required to circle one of four letters. If we are to evaluate teachers based on student achievement and growth, let’s make sure that we can properly test both.

But is that possible? I think it is.

According a report summary by the National Center for Educational Statistics, “Previous research has suggested that students schools with high concentrations of low income students and students from urban schools would be expected to have less successful educational outcomes….” However, would any of us blame that on a lack of teacher competency? No, we are more likely to fault other factors; therefore, evaluating based solely on achievement or growth may not always be valid.

However, this conversation helped me remember that there is not one answer. What may work for one student or one district will not always work for another.

In fact, the only question that was answered during this conversation was, “Will I be back?” The answer is most definitely a “Yes.”

If you want to be a part of the conversation, join Neal at noon on Tuesday or at 4:30 p.m. March 27 in Gabel Hall, Room 335.

Who knows, you might just see me there.