Women’s basketball set for Western Michigan

Sophomore forward Jada Buggs attacks the basket during the Huskies game against the Akron Zips.

By Bob Kreider

Women’s basketball will have its last regular season game on the road against Western Michigan today in Kalamazoo, Mich. The Huskies will look to set the tone for a MAC tournament run starting on March 10.

“We would take any win and it would be a huge confidence boost,” said head coach Kathi Bennett. “I think that we’ve played with everybody and still have struggled to finish. It would be great against Western [Michigan] and would help so much to show that we can finish and get a win and go into the tournament with that confidence behind us.”

The last time the Huskies (7-21, 2-13 MAC) faced the Broncos, (9-19, 5-10 MAC) NIU fell short 51-54. Buckets were hard to come by as the Broncos held NIU to 35.2 percent shooting while Western Michigan managed a 40.4 field goal percentage for the game.

The Huskies were led by senior forward Satavia Taylor’s 18 points and 6 rebounds. Sophomore Amanda Corral, redshirt sophomore Jenna Thorpand junior Ashley Sneed were only able to combine for 6-21 shooting in the game, something that will have to change if the Huskies hope to come away with the win. The Broncos had big contributions from freshman forward Miracle Woods and sophomore forward Marquisha Harris, who both had 12 points and combined for 10 rebounds.

The Broncos have lost seven of their last 10 games, the worst of which came against MAC champion Toledo, 75-42. The Broncos have managed to go 5-6 at home but have struggled to put up big numbers offensively. Western Michigan is going into its last game ranked eighth in the MAC offensively at 58.1 points per game. It is ranked ninth in the MAC defensively, giving up an average of 66.1 points per game.

The Huskies are currently fourth in the MAC defensively, allowing only 59.7 points per game. The Huskies are 10th in the MAC in scoring at 54.8 points per game. The Huskies have had success on the road as of late and will have to take on the Broncos on their senior night, something Bennett wants her team to be ready for.

“I think our last few games we’ve played really well at home, but I do think that we are coming together at the right time and playing good basketball,” Bennett said. “It is going to be [Western Michigan’s] senior night but I think it would be a great confidence boost to go in there on their court and get a win.”