Student Association Presidential Candidates Profiles

Daihee Cho

Senior accounting major

What changes will you make?

“First I represent safety, I represent diversity, and I represent Huskie pride. … I’ve been talking to all the resource centers on the campus… [the] Asian Resource Center, Center for Black Studies, LGBT Resource Center, as well. I’ve been talking to create an oversight council to include all these diversity students and all the diversity organizations so that we can hold a weekly or bi-weekly meeting so that we can share information and opportunity among us.”

How will you increase student participation?

“…I think that there’s a lack of communication and by creating the oversight council including all the diversity organizations with all the diversity students I believe that this is a great opportunity to let our students know [about SA events] …There is a lack of communication and I think that’s a great target market that we can focus on…. I have the confidence that I will be able to and I am able to bridge the gap and work for the NIU students.”

Experience

“I was with the resident association my freshman and sophomore year. This is my first year being involved with the SA. …As the director of student life I was able to be the main liaison from SA to all the departments on campus. So I was able to build a stronger relationship with…student affairs…and other departments on campus.”

————-

Jack Barry

Junior marketing major

What changes will you make?

“I feel like we need to bridge the gap between the Student Association and the student body. We have some issues [with] the students…getting involved on campus, whether that is SA or just with an organization on campus. We also have to bridge the gap and the miscommunication between the student body and the faculty. There are often things that the faculty tries to put into place, but it’s not communicated to students so students don’t take advantage of it.”

“We need to get out from our office. Sometimes we get caught up with the day to day and we sit behind a desk too much. We need to get out; we need to get involved on campus. We need to actively walk around. We need to put recruitment tables at Barsema and DuSable, at the library, at the Student Center, and [at] campus things like football games, and be out there more than just the first week doing the involvement fair.”

Experience

“I’ve been involved for two years now and I’ve been on the Senate side. I’ve been a director so I see how things operate. I’m also the treasurer of one of the largest student fraternities on campus here. I’ve done the advertising…for the Northern Star. I know how to manage people and I know how the Student Association works.”