NIU Community School of Arts to put on Honors Recital

By Kevin Steiger

Six musicians between the ages of 12 and 16 will perform at the annual Honors Recital on Saturday.

The six will receive a $250 talent scholarship from the NIU Community School of the Arts. This scholarship was established in 1996. The money for the awards comes from the school’s scholarship fund, which is primarily funded through fundrasing activities and benefit recitals.

Winners were chosen based on the performance and skill that was displayed during the musician’s audition, according to Deborah Booth, director of external programs.

“One thing I found interesting was that since 1996 there is a total of $23,000 given to over 102 recipients,” Booth said.

There were a total of 20 applicants who audition for these positions. Recipients had to perform different pieces front of judges. Afterward, the judges made the decision of who will receive a spot in the Honors Recital.

All recipients have received private lessons by NIU professors Ann Montzka, Jaina Krueger, and Jui-Ching Wang though the NIU Community School of the Arts.

Christine Ryzhov, a violin student attending Clinton Rosette Middle School, will play Tambourine by A. Gretry. She is the daughter of professor Victor Ryzhov of the departments of chemistry and biochemistry.

“She has been playing violin for four years now,” said Ryzhov. “It’s is not surprising that she won because of all the hard work and effort she put into practice.”

Allison Kozinski, 16, is a junior homeschool student. She studies piano and will perform Prelude for Piano by Debussy. Wang, an assistant professor in the music department, has been Kozinski’s instructor for almost five years.

“Allison deserves this award because she can play pieces beyond her age group’s level,” Wang said.

The Honors Recital is free to the public. It will be located in the Recital Hall of the Music Building.

Leo Thomas O’Malley will be performing with his violin the first movement of the Concerto in G minor by Max Bruch. He is a homeschooled student.

Alyssa Leston is a seventh grade student from DeKalb who is homeschooled. She will be playing La Folia by A. Corelli.

Chance Hostetler is the son of Chris and Anna Hostetler and lives in DeKalb. He studies piano and will be playing Bethena by Scott Joplin.

William Jiang, is an eighth grade student at Marshall Academy in Rockford. Jiang, who plays violin, will perform Praeludium and Allegro by Fritz Kreisler.