NIU Quidditch team holds first practice of the semester

By Lindsey Rodriguez

Move over, Hogwarts. The the NIU Nargles are taking over the Quidditch playing field.

Micah Jade Haji-Sheikh, recently elected Quidditch president and sophomore illustration major, said the game follows the rules of the Harry Potter book series. Main players include beaters, keepers, chasers and a seeker.

Harry Potter fans will recall the titular character, an infamous seeker whose goal was to chase a snitch. For the Nargles’ playing purposes, the snitch ball is attached to the back of the seeker’s leg. NIU’s seekers are known for being sneaky and have various hiding spots in, out and around the Chick Evans Field House.

“I’ve seen seekers in trees and behind rocks,” Haji-Sheikh said.

Haji-Sheikh gave special mention to Franz Varga, a freshman accounting major, and Nick Bimmerle, a freshman computer science major. Varga is the team keeper and is recognized for his dedication to the sport. Bimmerle is known as one of the best beaters.

It was the Internet that inspired Bimmerle’s passion. He was surfing the Web several years ago and saw college Quidditch footage. When Bimmerle decided to come to NIU, he made sure to sign up right away.

“The first thing I did was go up to the booth and say, ‘I want to join,’” Bimmerle said.

The secret to such a tight-knit team lies within their sense of family competitive edge, and a “Gangnam style” pre-game ritual.

“I love our team and everyone gets along so well,” said Rebecca Fassola, head captain and senior illustration major.

The NIU Nargles Quidditch Team is in its third year as a fitness club. Practices are held from 8 to 10 p.m. Monday and Wednesday at the Chick Evans Field House. There are no tryouts and everyone is welcome to come and practice.