Lambda Pi Eta hosts a fundraiser to help communication majors

Lacey Vowels (left) takes Andrew Pepper, freshman undecided major (right) order at Panda Express located at 1015 West Lincoln Highway.

By Lindsey Rodriguez

A communications honor society worked with Panda Express, 1015 W. Lincoln Highway, as part of a fundraiser on Monday.

Members of Lambda Pi Eta (LPE) passed out fliers to students on campus that could be used to allow 20 percent of the cost of each meal they bought at Panda Express to be given to LPE. The fliers were made available on LPE’s Facebook.

Bailey Gordon, LPE president and senior communications and journalism major, said the fundraiser was important to the group. “I want to see us succeed,” Gordon said. “We have a good small group of people, and a good faculty adviser.”

LPE is a newly-formed national communications honor society, and the newest addition to the Honors program. The original members were inducted on Nov. 10.

Susan Oppenborn, LPE faculty adviser and undergraduate program adviser for the Communications Department, said the money raised from the Panda Express event will help fund the LPE group so they will be able to do charity events next semester.

“We have a strong initial membership with good ideas for events,” Oppenborn said. “As long as we continue to have good events and good press the funds will come in.”

The fundraiser at Panda Express was made possible by Chris Domrzalski, LPE activities officer and senior communications major. Panda Express often hosts fundraising events for NIU, said Panda Express manager Dorothy Cloud. She said most of the store’s customers are students, so the store’s employees try to maintain a good relationship with the university.

“We also do catering for teachers and fraternities,” Cloud said. “The last one was the Taste of Northern around September.”