NIU student found dead in Pi Kappa Alpha house

By Northern Star Staff

Update (4:23 p.m.): Ruth Bogenberger, the mother of David, said the family is “shocked and distraught” by their loss.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Gary Bogenberger, the father of David, said David was a triplet and decided to study finance at NIU after his high school graduation.

A vigil for David Bogenberger will be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

——–

Update (3:28 p.m.): According to a press release from the DeKalb Police Department, David R. Bogenberger, 19, was pronounced dead at 10:45 a.m. by DeKalb County Coroner Dennis Miller.

DeKalb Police Lt. Jason Leverton said there were no obvious signs of foul play, and no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

Leverton said Bogenberger was found unresponsive when police arrived at the scene at about 10:14 a.m. Investigators are looking into Bogenberger’s status with the fraternity.

“He was not an official member,” Leverton said. “His status as a pledge for the fraternity is currently unconfirmed.”

An autopsy is scheduled for Saturday to determine the cause of death.

Students from Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity had no comment at this time.

——–

Update (1:34 p.m.): Brad Hoey, director of communications and marketing, said NIU is here to be a support for those affected.

“It’s very sad news,” Hoey said. “Our condolences go to the family and friends involved. We will continue to support them with our thoughts and prayers.”

The NIU Counseling and Student Development Center is prepared to offer its services to friends and fellow students, Hoey said.

“The Center is mobilized and ready to support students,” Hoey said.

Representatives from the Interfraternity Council and Student Leadership and Development Offices had no comment on the issue at this time.

———-

An NIU student was found dead this morning in the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house, according to an NIU Police Department spokesman.

DeKalb County Coroner Dennis Miller said there are currently no indications that point in the direction of suicide, but that it is premature to rule the cause of death at this time. The student’s body was found in one of the house’s bedrooms, Miller said.

The DeKalb Police Department and the coroner’s office are in the process of notifying the victim’s family, and said an investigation is ongoing.