Christensen elected as new regional superintendent

By Kyle Boyd

Amanda Christensen won the position of regional superintendent of schools for DeKalb County.

Christensen defeated Republican incumbent Derek Avery by more than 3,000 votes. She will now serve in the position for a four-year term.

“I’m so excited and looking forward to getting started,” Christensen said.

Christensen said the key to her victory was voters feeling she cared about the education of their children. She said voters connected with her belief that student success is a collective effort of parents, family and the community.

Christensen said she vows to be visible and accessible in the county to residents in her new role. She said she is looking forward to taking an active approach in the community. She is also looking forward to coordinating with administrators and the public for the wellbeing of the students.

Christensen said she wants to see more instructional leadership from the regional superintendent office.

“I want to see a county that collaborates and works together to support all of our students,” Christensen said.

She said she hopes to hear the concerns of the community while working with parents to ensure the best possible opportunity for students.

“In the past the regional office focused on safety and compliance,” Christensen said. “While important, the [regional superintendent] should take the role of a resource and advocate for the county.”

Christensen believes the role of regional superintendent of schools for DeKalb County is key in supporting the safety of district students and promoting academic achievement.

Christensen has served as a DeKalb High School teacher since 2001. Previously, Christensen taught with the Kishwaukee Educational Consortium for a year with the at-risk program, teaching students who needed an alternative setting.

Avery could not be reached for comment despite attempts from the Northern Star staff.